11.08.2014

What I Read - September/October

It's been a slow fall on the reading front. Our new schedule has my head spinning and leaves me pretty burnt out by the end of the day. Judah still isn't sleeping through the night, so the fog continues. 
Thirty-Two Going On Spinster
I've been trying to remember each month to dig into my never-ending list of books on my Kindle and this looked like a fun fluff read. Julia is in her early thirties, working a boring job, and still living in her parents' basement. She's convinced she's going to become a spinster in a matter of weeks until a cute new guy starts at work. As Jared and Julia's relationship evolves there are some bumps in the road that cause some major changes in both of their lives.

While the book was cute I realized late in the game that I'm not currently in the mood for fluffy books where the girl is rescued by the guy. I don't want to read stories where the girl measures her worth based on her relationship status. I want to read about a woman who has a man or not, but lives her life regardless of whether he fits in or doesn't. This one really wasn't up my alley.
 Lincoln has a night job at a newspaper monitoring emails. He frequently runs across conversations between two reporters, Beth and Jennifer, as they were flagged inappropriate. Despite not ever seeing her face to face and knowing she has a boyfriend, Lincoln starts to fall for Beth. You'll have to read it for yourself to see how it all turns out. 

Rainbow Rowell nailed it again with this book. It was a refreshing look at adulthood that deftly dealt with some deeper life issues but also kept the humor flowing. You end up rooting for each of the characters and wishing you worked at the newspaper as well. Or could join in their weekend Dungeons and Dragons tournaments. I want to be friends with most of Rainbow's characters now that I think about it. I like that in a novel.
The Kitchen House
Young irish immigrant Lavinia finds herself on a Southern plantation with no memory of her life prior to arriving in the US. Her family was indentured to a seafaring plantation owner and she was the sole survivor of the trip across the Atlantic. As a servant she lives in the kitchen house with the other servants, though she is the only one who is white. She grows up in the kitchen house among the slaves and becomes an integral part of their family. When the Master dies life at the plantation takes a turn for the worse.

The writing itself was not the best I've ever read, but the story kept me engaged. While the book is fictional, the landscape of the South at that time was real. It's hard to imagine slavery as the norm in any time or place. The Kitchen House is not an uplifting book, but is a good story of love, loss, and family.

What have you been reading lately? Did you know that John Green is currently filming Paper Towns? Brent got it for me for Christmas last year and I have yet to crack it open. I need to before John's Instagram spoils it for me!

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents, which I appreciate greatly. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...