9.04.2014

What I Read - August Edition

August snuck by me like a thief in the night. I'm still somewhat in shock that we are already in the throes of September, poised on the verge of fall. I'm trying to sneak in as much reading as I can in the next few weeks because life is about to be busier than ever!

I have read :::nearly::: all of Rainbow Rowell's books (Attachments: A Novel is on hold at the library as I type!) and I was so excited to get on the library reserve list early for this one. It was in my hands shortly after it was released and I dove right in. And it was a few pages in that my excitement waned.

Georgie McCool is a comedy TV writer who loves her job and her family. But when the break she has been waiting for her whole life coincides with the family Christmas visit to Omaha Georgie chooses to put work first and miss out on the holiday with her family. Her marriage is already on thin ice and she regrets the decision almost immediately. When she seeks comfort from her childhood home she discovers that her old landline actually calls the past to an earlier Christmas when her relationship with Neal was on equally rocky footing. You'll have to read it to find out what happens to Georgie and Neal.

Sigh. It pains me to say it, but I didn't like it and I knew it from the first few pages. I couldn't relate to Georgie, or Neal, or their relationship. I could roll with the time traveling phone conversations, but some of the other circumstances around it were too out there for me. I honestly almost didn't finish it. I just didn't care about this book. That being said, I'm still really excited to go pick up Attachments later today!
[I am a BookLook Blogger and received this book free for an honest review.]

Nish is a blogger who I've enjoyed following for the past few years. She is a Christian who openly discusses her struggles with the church and her faith. She is a wise woman with a sharp wit who also has no problem with the occasional expletive. Basically, she's the kind of woman you want to go grab a beer with and discuss life in all its messy detail. [If you haven't read her before I HIGHLY recommend taking a peek at her blog

When the book arrived in the mail the paperback was deceptively small in size. What is lacks in physical weight, it more than makes up for in intellectual and spiritual weight. In eight chapters Nish uses her own stories and the stories of others to highlight how seemingly small, unextraordinary personal stories can bring about larger change in our world. She also writes about the importance of listening to the stories of others, how much better we can help each other if we only take the time to really listen.

I really don't think I can do justice in a blog review how much of a gift this book was for me. It was like a kick in the pants, in the best way. I have spent a lot of time talking about talking about my story over the past few years, but little time actually talking about my story. Or even properly writing about it. My heart is literally bursting with things I have not yet fully expressed for reason of feeling overwhelmed at the task. Speak helped me see that sharing in everyday conversation with those in your life or listening to the story of someone you just met are also ways of doing that. You don't need to be a best-selling author for your story to be heard and make a difference in the world. You can just be you. 

This is a Christian book written by a Christian blogger. There is scripture scattered throughout each chapter. Regardless of your faith, this book is a must-read for anyone who questions the importance of their story. Nish is truly an inspiration, whether you are a Christian or not. She not only talks the talk, but she walks the walk. She went to Ferguson, MO with the express mission to listen and tell the stories if asked [see more on her Twitter feed]. 

"We have the power to use our own stories and lives to build bridges across the divisive gaps in our cultures. It just takes a soft, knowing nudge on the arm as we first ask, "What do you think?"" Listen. Speak. Then listen some more. We can make this world a better place, one story at a time.

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents, which I appreciate greatly. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...