A few weeks ago the lovely Danialle of Mama Chirps nominated me for the Liebster Award. You can read all about it here. To accept the award I answer Danialle's questions and then ask my own while nominating five other bloggers I love. The award is meant to be a way to help promote the smaller blogs that you love. Here goes nothing!
I am a fly by the seat of my pants blogger. The only thing I really plan are photo updates (baby, garden, etc) and my monthly book updates. Other than that I just write when the feeling takes me and I can find the time. These days that time is fewer and farther between, so I have a lot of what I want to say floating around in my head. I'll sit down with some music playing and type it out. I'm usually too excited to hit "Publish" to spend much time editing, a habit I'm looking to change.
2. If you could go back in time and change something, what would it be?
The SCOTUS ruling on the recent Hobby Lobby contraceptive case. [Ruth Bader Ginsburg's dissent starting on page 60 is fantastic.]
3. What blog do you find most inspiring?
Hands down Girls Gone Child. Rebecca's blog is an awesome combination of great photography and thoughtful writing. Her outlook on parenthood is refreshing and she doesn't hold back on sharing the ugly parts of life. She's the first blog I started to follow and I look forward to each of her posts still years later.
4. What is your favorite book?
This is a tough one for me, but I think it's still Green Was the Earth on the Seventh Day by Thor Heyerdahl.Thor and his wife Liv sailed to and lived in the Marquesas, a dream I've had for a long time. They got married and immediately left Europe. This book is about the beauty in the simplicity of life in places such as these, the connection with nature and the serenity it brings.
5. What is your most prized material possession?
Of course mine would be books: I have really old copies of The Ra Expeditions and Aku-Aku by Thor Heyerdahl. I haven't even read them yet because I don't want to finish all of his works any time soon. And a beautiful copy of Easter Island by Alfred Metreaux that Brent bought for me our first Christmas together.
6. Which one of your posts are you most proud of? Share the link.
I'm pretty proud of this one AND the band read it too: Things I Learned From Saves the Day
7. What is your favorite coffee (or tea) beverage?
8. Describe one of your earliest memories.
When I was three I went bowling with my aunt's and met their friend Danny. I had a massive crush on him instantly. One of my aunt's told him about my crush on the phone in front of me and I was devastated. I felt so betrayed. I was three. And apparently wicked intense.
9. What is your favorite quote?
"Love falls to the earth, rises from the ground, pools around the afflicted. Love pulls people back to their feet. Bodies and souls are fed. Bones and lives heal. New blades of grass grow from charred soil. The sun rises." - Anne Lamott
10. Do you follow recipes exactly or create your own version of it?
I am a recipe follower. My husband is magical in the kitchen, I just get by.
11. What is your favorite season of the year?
Fall. Spring in Minnesota is pretty much non-existent, summer is filled with the stress of making each day count, and winter is cold and bleak. Fall is cool but not cold, days are long enough still, and there is a calm that settles in the air.
11 Random Facts1. I didn't really have hair until age 3.
2. I can play the piano but get extremely flustered practicing in front of an audience so I rarely play.
3. I don't think I can live without at least one pet. I even had 1 or 2 in college.
4. One of my life goals is to knit myself a sweater that I can snuggle up in on chilly fall mornings.
5. I have wanted to write a book for as long as I can remember but didn't settle on a meaningful enough subject until about two years ago. Now I just need to dedicate time to putting it all on paper.
6. I threw up from the stomach flu once prior to having children. Since having children I've lost count how many times it's happened.
7. I regularly rock out to Garth Brooks' Greatest Hits even though I'm not big into country music.
8. I love data analysis. I just do.
9. I started college as an Anthropology major, then changed to Psychology, then changed to Sociology. If I were to go back to school ever again it would be in the field of Psychology. Making life decisions at 18/19 is such a great idea!
10. I subconsciously pick up things with my toes when cleaning the house.
11. I am in love with formline art. Lawrence Yuxweluptun is my favorite artist.
Blogs I Nominate
Adventures of an Artist, Wife and Mom
Where My Green Grass Grows
Words Under Words
A Little Black Cloud in a Dress
Questions for the Nominees
1. Share a self portrait of any media.
2. What is your dream job (money not being an object)?
3. What blog do you find most inspiring?
4. Who is your favorite author and why?
5. If you could see any band play dead or alive, who would you see?
6. What is your favorite food?
7. Who is your biggest "celebrity" crush?
8. East Coast or West Coast?
9. What is your favorite summertime activity?
10. If you had not chosen parenthood, where do you think you would be right now?
11. What is your favorite quote?