6.02.2014

What I Read - May Edition

Technically this is what I read in April AND May seeing as I did not finish a single book in the month of April. Sigh. I was speaking to a grandmother at the park this week who also had three children. She told me that any free time you had with two was completely gone once you had three. So far, she is right about that. Then why do all parents of 3+ children tell you that it's easier the more you have? Lies, I tell you. When they all say it's worth it though, well, that is the truth.


Minot tells the story of a short period of time in the adult life of the Bramble children where they are met with both loss and discovery. The main part of the novel spans only a few weeks of time yet much of the past is discovered and parts of their lives they had never questioned had new answers. The book keeps you guessing until the very end what exactly the family secret is and the characters reactions are intriguing. It makes you question how you would feel if you became privy to the same information. I can't say much more without giving it away.

What really drew me into this book was not the secret itself but the poetic way the author captured every day life. Margaret, Max, and Edie live fairly average lives and are each dealing with difficulties that crop up in life. They struggle with their own humanity in ways we all do and Minot was able to tell their stories in a way that made me want to read about their mundane days until the end of time. Each sibling thought the others had everything figured out and they were the ones who were a mess in their own minds, but the truth was they were all in very similar places. I felt like it is the same way we all feel from time to time: "Why does everyone else have their shit figured out and I'm over here treading water wondering which direction to go?" The truth: no one has their shit figured out. And that's ok because that's what makes us all human.

Good book. Check it out.


 This book has been on my to-read list for a few years now and it finally became available on BookMooch so I snapped it up. I decided to start it as soon as it came in the mail. I am a sucker for addiction memoirs and love Carrie Fisher's wit so I was excited to read it. The book is actually based on her live show of the same name, a fact I didn't become aware of until after I read the book. It explains a lot about how the book is written. It is a shallow retrospective on her entire life spanning a mere 156 pages. A life as big and loud as Carrie Fisher's can't reasonably be told in 156 pages of large type print. 

While entertaining, the book was not as deep as I had hoped for. It just skimmed the surface of a lot of big issues, which totally makes sense for a stage show. I try not to read too much about books before I read them but having that knowledge beforehand would have tempered my expectations better. Someone on Instagram mentioned liking her novel Postcards from the Edge so I'll check that one out and then maybe watch the movie.


Also, I can't wait to go see the Fault in Our Stars movie as soon as I possibly can! I'll be packing plenty of tissues! Anyone else doing the same?

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents, which I appreciate greatly. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library or independent book stores are pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...