2.03.2014

What I Read - January Edition

I got some reading in before the plague hit my house this month. I have to say now that if you don't like Rainbow Rowell then we can't be friends. Just wanted to clear the air there. 

Only Love Is Real: A Story of Soulmates Reunited

This is the second book I've read by Weiss and it was not nearly as intriguing as the first. The book lived up to the first part of the title focusing on how love is the only thing that matters from one lifetime to the next, but the part about the reuniting of the soul mates left a lot to be desired. I love exploring the ideas of past lives and soul mates so this book was another way to do just that. I also think love is the most important thing we can show others and Weiss would agree. I didn't learn much here that I didn't already know, so I wouldn't recommend this one, especially if you already read his first book.


Ugh, did this book drag on forever! It is a 17th century mystery/thriller that would have been much more titillating had it been told in about half of the pages. The story centers on some supposed witchcraft that is going on in a small German village and is an adaptation of the life of one of the author's relatives who happened to be a hangman. Learning about how that trade worked was really interesting, but the story itself was drawn out much longer than it needed to be. Again, I wouldn't recommend this one.


THIS BOOK. I thought I loved Eleanor and Park but that feeling pales compared to how I feel about Fangirl. Rowell has a way of writing about offbeat or misfit characters that you can't help but identify with and fall sort of in love with. A reason to love Cath:
"Other people," Cath repeated, shaking her head and taking a sip. "There are other people on the Internet. It's awesome. You get all the benefits of 'other people' without the body odor and the eye contact."

My husband would tell you that that would sound like something I would think (though not say out loud). I flew through the 433 pages and didn't want the book to end. Lucky for me there are still other books out there by Rainbow Rowell that I have not read and will be requesting from the library immediately. If you like YA fiction and offbeat characters, then you will love this book.

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents, which I appreciate greatly. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...