9.06.2013

What I Read - August Edition

The last official month of summer and my reading has still be light. But it was a great book month! Once the fall harvest is done I'll have more time to snuggle up with more new books each month. 



This book was a longer read, but it was definitely worth it. It wove together the story of three (sort of four) generations of a family spanning over 100 years and 2 continents. It was part mystery, part coming of age, part fairy tale. I couldn't put it down and I also couldn't guess the ending. There were characters to love and characters to despise.

The family estate on the coast of England caused me to drool a bit. A cottage on a cliff overlooking the ocean with walled in garden in the back, sigh! If you like family secrets, intrigue, English gardens definitely check out this book!



I picked this book up from the local library after hearing about it many times over the past year from other mamas. After hearing their stories I realized we may have a spirited child (or two). How do you know if your child is spirited? Exhaustion is a key indicator, but Kurcinka defines it as "they are normal children who are more intense, persistent, sensitive, perceptive, and uncomfortable with change than other children." Thought you were alone in all that? Turns out you're not! Also, you're not failling as a parent! Your child really does require more than other children. 

I am not 100% finished with this book yet but I have already taken away so much. I have pages of notes summarizing the chapters that relate to my boys and tons of ideas on how to change our family dynamic to help things run more smoothly. There is so much good information in this book that we're going to be implementing it in bits and pieces. 

One of the big takeaways for me was the fact that the most frustrating traits in your spirited child are actually traits we admire in adults. It's our jobs as parents to nurture these and help them to direct them properly instead of squashing these traits which can help them be successful as adults. I adore my spirited boys and the extra energy they take, I'm just glad that I now have some new tools to help keep our family sane and on the right track.

If you even think that this book maybe might be about your kid, don't hesitate to pick it up. You'll know within the first few pages if the book is for you and it is an easy, engaging read. 


[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...