7.01.2013

Day 1: What do you want to be remembered for?

Starting off the Blog It July posts with a tough one! I have been mulling over this question for the past few days now and I am not sure the perfect word to capture what I want to be remembered for. I thought it would be sweet to be able to wrap it all up in one simple word, but I'm not a simple person. 

I want to be remembered as a fighter. There was a time in my life where I was fighting everyday for the life my family deserved. I fought everyday to keep someone close to me from their own self destruction. I fight for my children when their voices need to be heard. I am not a loud or obnoxious person, but I will always go down swinging.

I want to be remembered as compassionate. Helping others has always been something on my heart. I had a lot of jobs in high school so on top of saving money for college I sponsored two children. I volunteered at my church, the hospital, the community center. I am always willing to listen without judgment if someone needs an ear and lend them the support they deserve. We've all been in places where even the smallest compassion from a complete stranger helps us make it through our day. 

I want to be remembered as being honest and open. As an introvert I love having deep conversations (and also hate/suck at small talk). I'm also an awful liar and prefer to relate to others from a place of truth. I am proud of who I am and my family so I don't feel the need to lie. I love for other people to challenge me (thoughtfully) and am always open to new ideas. I'm only 28. I'm not old enough to know everything.

If even only my children remember me for those three things I would feel very accomplished. I hope that when my time comes the list will be longer than my own offspring, but instilling them with the above values isn't a bad way to spend a life.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...