5.01.2013

What I Read - April Edition

Still got a lot of reading in this April as Minnesota has not yet recognized it is Spring so I've been holed up inside. Also, we have gotten snow in May and are supposed to get more throughout the night. As much as it annoys the crap out of me, I can't help but throw up my hands and whole-heartedly shrug. What can you do but laugh at how ridiculous life can be sometimes? It's apparent someone wants my chickens to live in my house FOREVER. Anyway, on to the literature!



I heard about this book through Tumblr where Tre has had a presence for many years. I don't personally follower her, so I heard about it through the grapevine. The memoir starts when Tre loses her husband when she is 34. She chronicles her journey in such a relatable way that you feel like you are inside her head (or she is inside yours). She has her tough moments and others where she shines. It's a story of learning how to move on despite the status quo. This book definitely is a tear jerker, but leaves you with a warm fuzzy at the end.



This book was a really cool read, reminded me slightly of Switching Time as both were written by mental health professionals. While that book was about Dissociative Identity Disorder this book was about a woman who when put under hypnosis to help find the root of her anxiety and depression revealed instead information about her past lives. Instead of regressing to her childhood she had regressed to past lives. Dr. Weiss only started the hypnosis after a year of unsuccessful attempts at other forms of therapy, none of which eased Catherine's symptoms. He was shocked by what followed, as was she, a devout Catholic.

I could write a novel about my thoughts on this subject, but I'll save that for another time. Basically, I was raised a Christian and still consider myself mostly Christian, however I do believe in reincarnation as well. My spiritual beliefs are not set in stone and have evolved over time and I fully expect them to through the rest of my life. The most basic thing I believe in is love. Everything else stems from there.

On the topic of reincarnation specifically, well, it's something newer I'm exploring. I've always believed in it in some sense, but have never spent any real time in deep thought about it. It just kind of was and that was that. But now that I'm exploring it more I'm getting an even greater sense of calm and spiritual connection with the powers that be. Call it what you will, but what harm does it do to believe in it? None of us will know what actually lies on the other side of this life and believing in reincarnation hurts no one. I'm here to learn, I'm here to help, I'm here to love. I see no harm in that, so no one else should either. [Ahem, I know that's not how the world works, I just really wish people would leave others spiritual beliefs be when it's not hurting anyone else. I personally love religious/spiritual discussions with truly open hearted people! Bring on the positive, respectful debate!]



Another spiritual book (both were from my mama). As soon as I started reading it I thought "Why the hell haven't I read anything by Anne Lamott before?!" I love her style and wit and the fact that she is a recovering alcoholic (always a soft spot for those in recovery).Triple threat! The book is short and sweet, capturing her ideas around how prayer should be: informal and personalized to your relationship with the powers that be. My prayer has always been informal and on the spot, that's what has always worked for me, what's always felt right.

I dog-eared a few pages and here is one piece that is oh-so-relevant to my life always:

"If we stay where we are, where we're stuck, where we're comfortable and safe, we die there. We become like mushrooms, living in the dark, with poop up to our chins. If you want to know only what you already know, you're dying. You're saying: Leave me alone; I don't mind this little rathole. It's warm and dry. Really, it's fine.

When nothing new can get in, that's death. When oxygen can't find a way in, you die. But new is scary, and new can be disappointing, and confusing -- we had this all figured ou, and now we don't. 

New is life."

I will definitely be picking up more books by Anne Lamott in the near future. Chick is awesome and wiser than she gives herself credit for.



This book is weird, somewhat sad til the end, but very good. The main characters (Mattia and Alice) are extra quirky and take the harder path through life. They are unique (like prime numbers) but find solace in each other throughout certain times of their young adult and adult lives. The way the author wove the story together with the math in the title was flawless. I generally despise loose ends in a book, but Giordano chose the right ones to leave unresolved. And my favorite part of the book without giving anything away? It is a prime number of pages (271)! Mathlete Laura is geeking out over that piece. Giordano really did his homework and created a brilliantly quirky novel. 

Kind of a heavier month for reading, not any fluff. Looking forward to starting Kelly Oxford's Everything Is Perfect When You're a Liar this week. That should up the light-heartedness for May!

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

2 comments:

  1. I adore Anne Lamott - she's been a long-time favorite of mine! Besides her more overtly spiritual books, you might also like "Bird by Bird" which is a little bit more about her life as a writer or "Operating Instructions" about her first year as a mother. Amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should mention that! It's the other book of hers my mom gave me. I should check it out as I need to sit down and start doing some book writing myself. :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...