5.21.2013

Kiss From a Rose

It was a midsummer's eve. The windows were thrown open and a soft summer breeze was floating through the house. The radio was playing softly in the background. Seal's Kiss From a Rose began to play and she turned it up, way up. We all began to sway to the music and sing at the top of our lungs. We were all completely taken over by the music, the dancing, the warm breeze. We poured our hearts into those four minutes. It truly was a magical moment. 

I couldn't have been more than 9 or 10. I spent a lot of time across the street at my hippie neighbor's house in the summer. I didn't realize she was a hippie then, but I can clearly see it now, illustrated in the moments like the one above. She wasn't concerned with social convention, she lived life in the moment. I want to be more like that.

I so easily lose myself in the never-ending tasks of daily life that I sometimes forget to just take a step back, breathe, and enjoy the moment. I am so focused on my "to-dos" and not focused enough on being present. To remedy that sometimes I look back to that summer night. I find a cheesy ballad on YouTube and I make my husband dance with me. Or I pick a song that the boys love (coughAaron'sPartycough) and we dance and sing. I don't do it as often as she did or as often as I should, but it's a start. I'll get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...