3.04.2013

What I Read - February

Wow, February flew by. So fast, in fact, that I hardly read any books! We had family trips, work trips, lady friend trips, solo husband trips, me oh my. Add to that the fact that Ezra has been waking up between 5:00 - 5:25 am since we pulled the nuk WEEKS ago and I've been a bit run down. My mom just gave me a book that's a case study of past life regression (intriguing) and I picked up Cutting for Stone from the library as well! There's chicken books too. More to come on the chicken books. 


This book was laugh out loud funny. Rhoda Janzen's life goes downhill quickly in her early forties and her memoir chronicles her journey through hard times with a large dose of wit and wisdom. Here's one of my favorite passages:

"It's strange to consider what makes a man sexy, is it not? I'm always surprised when women diddle around with things like chest hair or cologne or what kind of car a man drives. I have one girlfriend who looks for a guy with a nice tight butt. This mystifies me. If a man I like has a butt like an empty hammock, so be it. If his butt spreads like wurst on a cracker, God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change. If his butt has hair on it, and maybe a big mole, and also a smattering of pimples. I focus on his pleasantly scratchy chin instead. Perhaps an alert reader might suggest that the flawed buttock is suspiciously easy for me to champion, given the fact that Nick's butt was a thing of beauty and a joy forever, especially in its last public incarnation on Gay.com. Yet I insist that a butt is not where it's at. 

In my opinion, sexiness comes down to three things: chemistry, sense of humor, and treatment of waitstaff at restaurants. If the sparks don't fly from the beginning, they never will. If he doesn't get your sense of humor from the first conversation, you'll always secretly be looking for someone who does. And if a guy can't see restaurant servers as real people, with needs and dreams and crappy jobs, then I don't want to be with him, even if he just won the Pulitzer Prize. "

Dating gold there ladies. Take it from the woman whose husband of 15 years left her for Bob he met on Gay.com [Janzen's, not mine]. Highly recommend this read.


I downloaded this book onto my Kindle free through a lovely little site BookBub. It emails you deals for your e-reader, many of which are free. It's pretty hit or miss, but so easy to setup and just glance at your email to find new books. It's caused me to use my Kindle a bit more.

This book is also a feel good story. It's about nine-year old Grace, whose mother is an addict. Grace draws together the people in her apartment building to create a community of support that ends up benefiting everyone. The story felt very real to me, in an uplifting way. I like to think of the world as a mostly positive place and this book took that spin even while dealing with the dark world of addiction.

That's all I read this month! Sad face. But I did have the honor of having a Google + hang out with some fine internet book club ladies this past weekend. It's always a little scary "meeting" people you've shared your life with online for the past few years, but it was totally awesome. All of the ladies were exactly like I would've expected based on their blogs and our other online interactions. It was fun to hear their voices and see their pretty (though pixely) faces and chat. I will definitely be looking to do more of that in the future!

What have you read lately?

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...