1.03.2013

What I Read - December

Instead of writing book reviews as I finish them, I was inspired by UpsideDown Kate to post monthly [I love her unread library idea as well, but my list is so long I just can't bring myself to do it. I am chipping away at it though!]. If there is a book that also deserves a post of its own, well, how can I say no to that? So here's what I consumed in December:



This book was haunting, but beautifully written. A story of triumph and loss. Very moving. I don't feel I can write much more without giving too much away.


I love Jodi Picoult, but this book was one of my least favorites of hers. It was a tough book to read as a mother, but at the same time I had to know how it ended. The ending is a bit heart-wrenching. Seems I picked some downers to read during the holiday season!


If you live with a gifted child you know how intense their emotions can be. I bought this book with the hope of learning some coping mechanisms we can teach Noah to help him better manage his intense nature. Instead this book mostly focused on the intensity itself. Yeah, got that. Live with it everyday. So I was still left with the "now what?" question after reading this. Continuing my search.


I love reading different perspectives on motherhood, so I was excited to see what this book had to offer. Psh. I did not get very far in before becoming extremely annoyed at Badinter's narrow view of women. The way she grouped women based on their decisions about becoming mothers' was shallow at best. I didn't feel the need to continue reading a book written by someone who uses stereotypes to categorize an entire gender. Crap book, don't bother with it.

December was an underwhelming literary month for me, but I blame some of that on this never ending cold/flu I acquired two weeks ago.

Being that it is now 2013 I have started my GoodReads reading challenge! My goal is 30 this year, up from a goal of 25 last year. I plan on reading a lot more gardening/sustainability books this year, so that should account for the increase easily.

What have you read lately? Anything I should check out?

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

2 comments:

  1. The book on motherhood- what was her conclusion?

    It looks like one that might get under my skin as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Basically that the rise in attachment parenting in France is a threat to women. I found a review here that explains it well: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/13/books/review/the-conflict-and-the-new-feminist-agenda.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

      I didn't very far in the book it was that bad.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...