1.17.2013

Taking a Leap of Faith

Singularly, apart, each of those words sounds wonderful. Leap? Sounds fun! Faith? I have tons of it! But when you combine all of that into "taking a leap of faith" I shudder. The doubt floods my mind before I can finish the sentence. The what ifs are too scary for me. No, I'll just stay here where I'm comfortable thanks. I'd like to sit on the couch cushion with my butt groove and put my feet up on the coffee table. It was a fun idea, but now's not the time. Maybe another day.

Cue December. "Hey, what if we started that business you've been talking about for the past decade?" :::number crunching ensues::: "We could totally make this work." 

We dove off of the cliff [in a calculated manner] and bought a plow truck with a low risk loan. Then we bought a trailer. And some invoicing software. And next thing I know BOOM we just started a business we've talked about for years. My husband is realizing a long time dream of his. JUST. LIKE. THAT. 

Around the same time we were diving in I read an article by Martha Beck entitled "How to Take a Leap of Faith and Make a Perfect Landing" in O Magazine. [Judge away]. She was talking about me, us, the yearnings we've been having stronger than ever these days, to take risks, to truly move forward in our lives. There are many events that led to this day, but we realized that we were finally ready. Ready to pursue a dream instead of just treading water. Holy shit that was a powerful moment. "We CAN do this."

I know how to live life governed by fear and frankly, I'm ready to move on to new things. Been there, done that. What else you got? Martha Beck laid out the beginning of the process like this:

"Going to a fearless place in your imagination will show you clearly which decisions still have fire and energy, and which lose steam without anxiety as their fuel. The former are endogenous—meaning they arise from your inner essence, not from external pressures—and they're the foundation of every great leap."


We have more than one unrealized dream in this family. We always will. But this year we are focusing more on taking leaps of faith. We will be spending more time focusing on the things that stir our souls, that have been for years. And I couldn't be more excited.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! That's so great. I am so very, very happy for you. I wish you all the best of luck!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...