1.02.2013

My Groove

A few months ago I moved my blog from Tumblr to Blogger. I've noticed since the move that I am playing it safer over here than I was over there, as if my readership has changed dramatically. I don't swear as often. I'm not as snarky. Part of that is I don't want to fall back on swear words to convey my emotions all the time. Also, I'm trying to be more positive about life in general and constant sarcasm defeats that purpose.

So I'm stuck in this limbo of how do I sound? What is right for me? If I get so watered down I don't feel like what I'm writing is me, then to hell with it, why bother? But I also want to have readers who are different from me so they can lend their perspectives on life too. Basically, I don't want to scare the nice people away.

So here's the deal: I'm going to be writing more as me and less as the PC "mom" version of me (I try not to swear in front of my kids and I go light on the sarcasm because my six year old is picking it up and it is quite annoying). And honestly, swear words are some of my favorite words. They can be so cathartic. But I'll try to be more creative for the most part.

So sorry for the past few watered down posts. Mama's got her groove back and I'll be damned if I let the internet take that away.

4 comments:

  1. Not sure how I came across your blog (I think a book review on tumblr?) but I find myself resonating with just about everything you post! This one, especially. I swear like a sailor in real life, but I tend not to on my blog because I feel like it's kind of rude, since I don't know who's grandmother may be reading it. :] For awhile, I struggled with how much of my real self to let come thru in my writing, because I truly don't want to offend anyone or come across as snarky.. but it left me feeling a little fake. Cheers to saying fuck it. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough line to walk for sure! I know my grandma doesn't read this, but I honestly don't know everyone who does. Don't need anything haunting me. Fuck is the most cathartic word I have found. Until I find a better one, it's the one I'm using. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this! I've had a very hard time struggling with this, too. I just want to be me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I've come the conclusion that this year I will blog more and care less. I'm doing this because I enjoy it, not for anyone else.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...