11.10.2012

What Al Anon Has Done For Me

The blessing of Al Anon came into my life about two and a half years ago. It was at a time when I was beginning to reclaim my life. It was a mess and my focus was on controlling someone else, not on myself. I was constantly wasting my energy and chronically stressed. I pretty much had no life.

I attended the family program at Hazelden and learned about the existence of Al Anon. It was the first time in a long time I didn’t feel alone. I can’t even tell you how many tears I cried in front of strangers those three days. It was so freeing. I began to feel like a person again.

I slowly began to attend a local Al Anon meeting and the light began to creep back into my life. I found a community of support where I could be completely open and not worry about being judged. I started to unburden myself by sharing my story. I shifted my focus back to myself. I started to learn to worry about myself. I began to support others who were in need. I found a strength in myself I thought I had lost.

This whole thing has been a journey for me, one I am currently on. I don’t work the steps like I should. I haven’t let my walls come down far enough to get a sponsor. I’m still walking the road. I don’t have all the answers. But I’m learning to be ok with that. To let go and let God. It has helped me to be a happier more compassionate person.

If you have a loved one who is an addict and it adversely affects your life, I highly recommend you find an Al Anon meeting near you. You don’t have to say anything while there, but just being in a room full of people who know exactly where you’re coming from is pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...