11.30.2012

The Geeks Shall Inherit the Earth - Book Review


I didn't exactly "fit in" in high school. [See here] So when I came across this book I had to see what it had to offer. Once I started it I couldn't put it down. The people Robbins follows in the book are completely down to earth and relatable and her two-fold message is clear:
  1. We all seek connection with others. Sometimes the outcasts just have a harder time doing that.
  2. Our school systems are failing many of these kids, forcing them to fit into molds and lose the qualities that make them unique.
This book was a great read as a parent of a school aged child. We need to support our children wholly, unconditionally, quirks and all. We may also need to help them navigate the public education system successfully. This is also a great read for anyone in high school right now who is struggling to fit in anywhere. This book illustrates that a) life does get better and b) there may be a few things you can do while still in high school to change your situation if you're willing to put yourself out there.

Robbins not only observed the participants but also issued them a challenge to push these kids out of their comfort zone and meet new people. The positive outcomes of this challenge were greater than any of the kids had expected. Looking back, I wish I had done the same and grown my confidence back in high school. I didn't gain real confidence until college and even more when I entered the working world. I'm still the same person I was then, I'm just much more comfortable now in expressing that.

Great book, positive message. See also: Nerdcore for life.

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...