11.07.2012

Brene Brown is the Shit.




Did you hear that ladies? That was the sound of my head exploding from awesomeness. NO LIES. This book, well, I don’t really have the words for what this book has done for me. I have dog-eared, that’s right, DOG-EARED [read desecrated] a ton of pages from this book. In fact, I spent more time reading it than I really needed to because I didn’t want it to end. A nonfiction book. SERIOUSLY.

Brene Brown first came across my plate from her TED talk about vulnerability. She is an extremely astute and humorous speaker. [I get to see her speak at the U of M next week, eeeeek!] A few women at work were talking about this book so I thought I’d pick it up. Little did I know that it would change my perspective so dramatically.

I Thought It Was Just Me explores how and why women feel shame and what we can do to build shame resilience. It sounds like an extremely negative subject, but it really was a book about postivity. It was a book about how to live a more authentic life and how to show your fellow ladies empathy and compassion. It was about building connection as a community of women.

LADIES?! Can you imagine a culture where we support each other in our imperfections? Less judgment and more compassion? I dream of this, yearn for this. Since I started reading this book I have noticed a shift in my actions, my words. I am much less likely to jump on the gossip bandwagon. I’ve been doing my best to issue actions based on love, not on negative emotions. I gain NOTHING by tearing someone else down in any way, in any form.

This hasn’t been the easiest shift, as it is so easy with social media (and the election, gross) to join in the bitchfest. But I don’t feel better about myself when I do. In fact, I feel awful for the other person/people, even if I don’t agree or don’t like/know them. I am still learning to find more constructive ways to vent my frustrations about others. Maybe that would explain why I’ve started running lately. I don’t have this whole thing nailed. It’s a journey. [Life is a journey - wisdom I finally realized at 27]

When I look back on my life I want to know that I was true to myself and that I was a source of support and love for others. That I sowed more positivity than negativity. It’s also helping me share my real story with the world. Learning that I don’t have to hide portions of my life anymore to fit into anyone’s mold of normal or ok. Everyone’s lives are messy. Some people just won’t admit it yet.

“Owning our story and loving ourselves through that process is the bravest thing that we will ever do.” - Brene Brown

[[[[I cannot wait to pick up Daring Greatly soon too! The parenting manifesto from it is awesome!]]]]

[Disclaimer: If you click on the above Amazon links and purchase anything I receive a small commission from Amazon. Like a few cents. Buying from Amazon is awesome, but your local library is pretty cool too.]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...