7.26.2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower


This is the copy of the Perks of Being a Wallflower that I bought in high school. It has traveled with me to each and every residence I’ve had in the past dozen years or so. I saw a preview for the upcoming film adaptation during Moonrise Kingdom and had to read it again. I honestly don’t remember what I thought of it in high school, but know that it was good enough for me to keep on my shelf.


The format of this book drew me in immediately. The entire book is a series of letters written by Charlie to a stranger. He has a unique view of the world and his growth is evident throughout the book in the way his letters change. He is an introverted, sensitive freshman in high school who befriends two step siblings who open up his world.


I love how throughout the story Charlie finds his voice and learns to be at peace with what is, with who he is. My favorite quote:



So, I guess we are who we are for a lot of reasons. And maybe we’ll never know most of them. But even if we don’t have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel ok about them.



Charlie learns this lesson early on in high school, yet there are many adults in the world that never reach that enlightened state.


A sad, magical book. At the end, all I want is to be able to give Charlie a hug. I am most definitely bringing tissues to the film this fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...