12.28.2011

Blessed

Christmas is the time of year when people’s true colors show. All stress aside, you can pretty easily separate the greedy from the giving. We’ve all seen the posts floating around the last few days of people showing their ungratefulness for what they have or have not been given. It disappoints me to no end how some people are blind to what is right in front of them.


I am incredibly blessed. I have two healthy, beautiful boys. I am married to my best friend. I have a home and a great job. My life is far from perfect, far from easy, but I choose every day to make the best of it. We currently have a massive amount of debt, a fact that hangs over my head every minute of every day. Every spare dollar we have goes to pay our bills. We don’t go to movies, we don’t go out to dinner, we don’t buy new clothes, nor do we expect to. Our past lifestyle choices got us into this hole, so we are the ones who will dig ourselves out of it. No pity, no wallowing, just nose to the grindstone, let’s keep filling that hole, bit by bit.


Our boys are the only grandchildren/great grandchildren in the family so they are spoiled, especially on holidays. We are blessed in that way, our boys want for nothing. As for us, we got cash for Christmas. Every penny of it went to pay down debt. I received nothing from my husband and the only gift anyone received from us was a Christmas card. As much as I’d love to give freely this time of year, I can’t justify it given our current financial state.


It’s all too easy to fall into the habit of focusing on what you don’t have. The internet allows us to see everything we are missing out on on a daily basis. It truly is hard work to shift your focus to appreciate what you do have. I know Tumblr can be a venting ground, I just really wish more people would realize this, take a step back, and take in what is actually going right in their lives. I guarantee you you’ll find something, probably more than you realized.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...