10.18.2010

Bibliophile Mondays #5


Poverty is a subject about which I am very passionate. I was a sociology major and this is the topic that really struck a chord with me. The cycle of poverty is so ingrained in the structure of our country that it’s going to take a lot to get us out of it, but I KNOW it can be done. Here’s what I wrote about this insightful book after reading it a few years ago:

“This book was written in such a way that I didn’t want to put it down. The social injustice described really upset me and made me want to take action but really left me wondering what it is I could do. I know Kozol was not trying to write a call to arms, but with all that is happening, how can you really leave it off with more of an “I don’t know what we should do.” I know that there isn’t an easy answer to any of this, but I feel that after he spent a year getting to know this neighborhood he could have a bit of insight as to what we could do better. “

Kozol is an amazing writer and I recommend picking up any of his books.

We can do better for our children in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...